Welcome to Interfaith Community of Greater Richmond!
Statement of Purpose
The Purpose of the Interfaith Community of Greater Richmond is to develop understanding, respect and cooperation among the various religious faiths.
The Interfaith Community of Greater Richmond (ICGR) Inc. is an organization of 19 different religious denominations in the city of Richmond and surrounding counties. The member congregations within these faith groups bring together diverse doctrinal, cultural and ethnic backgrounds. The uniqueness of the Interfaith Council is its ability to cherish this rich diversity and at the same time to celebrate the unity of all these faiths by addressing basic human needs through cooperative community service.
This group, due to the many diverse traditions of its members, does not worship together or involve itself in specialized political concerns of component denominations. In this way, the integrity of each denomination is preserved while working to enhance the sensitivity of groups toward one another and to identify and eliminate prejudice where it is found.
Statement of Values
Through our belief in God, the Interfaith Community holds up the following Values:
• We value the participation of persons who model and communicate a vision of expectancy and hope for the future.
• We intend to create a climate of respect for each other’s traditions and acceptance of members and guests as people of religious faith.
• We aspire to develop spiritual connections through education about the beliefs and practices of the world’s religions.
• We welcome non-members as participants in our activities.
• We work cooperatively and interdependently to support the achievement of peace and harmony in our community.
• We value opportunities to recognize youth who work for unity and reconciliation in the community.
• We reach out to help meet the needs of less-fortunate children in our community.